March 4, 2014

Celebrating 25 years of Three Feet High And Rising



I remember this tape being passed around the school yard. All the kids who were into music were geeing out about the debut album from Long Island's De La Soul. When it was my chance to listen to the album, I remember my life changing as soon as I pushed play. I didn't understand it at the time, but this album would help shape my musical taste in the coming years. The Native tongue family became the litmus test that I would compare everything else to in Hip Hop.

From the opening skit making me wonder how many feathers are on a Perdue chicken, to wanting to know more about Hall & Oates thanks to Say No Go, and wanting to form a buddy line and having a Buddy; to the magical 3-sided record of Me, Myself & I; 3 Feet High & Rising has left it's imprint on my life. Thank you De La Soul.



No comments: